May 27, 2008

Excuse me, but there are periodical cicadas in my iced coffee.

Okay. Actually I'm drinking full throttle, rather than iced coffee. And I'm not writing my research paper on cicadas so much as I'm writing in my blog.

First off. The word "blog" is a shortening of "web log" (who knew?) and it is also a great way to procrastinate.

1) Alanis' new album
Alanis Morissette's new album was leaked this week, and obviously I can't stop listening to her. Flavors of Entanglement (album name) was co written and co produced by Guy Sigsworth (if the name doesn't ring the bell, look up his involvement with Frou Frou and Bjork). The man's a genius and it is of my personal opinion that he brought alanis back from the deep excrements of her previous album (2004) So Called Chaos. Don't get me wrong --> I love the album - but it wasn't very... inspirational. She wrote some very catchy pop hooks (Eight Easy Steps and Spineless and Doth I Protest deserve at least some amount of applause.) but the second I remember that Out if Through made it on the album my heart sinks and I feel sick (if you're an obbsessed fan, then you'll understand this: I like the vancouver session recording 8billiontimes more than the album version). Anywho, the first fantastic thing about this album is the size of it. The album itself is 11 tracks, but Itunes offers 5 bonus tracks. Add the couple of B-Sides recorded and youve got yourself almost 20 new tracks to work with. Secondly, Guy Sigsworth likes electronic beats. So you've got this multi-layered electro dance rock post-break up album. Citizen of the Planet, Versions of Violence, Moratorium, On The Tequila, Giggling, and The Guy Who Leaves deserve a standing ovation. These songs feel really good. I havn't felt like this about alanis since 2002 when under rug swept came out and I was pubescing and loving every second of it.

2) Long Weekend - Short Quarter - Boring Classes
This quarter deserves no enthusiasm. My dream schedule has turned to the worse. Plant Propagation is a useless class. It's a lecture based class about a hands-on topic. Entomology is a dreadful lecture to sit through. And Romance Linguistics... the professor is too weird for anything to feel good. I've probably learned most so far in the latter class, but mostly through my own explorations. We had a long weekend. Mine was... like 5 days or something. Port Angeles for trevs birthday (21!) and folk life in seattle and parties and socializing. No homework. Though. This quarter is almost done and I'm really really not close to finishing my research paper. I haven't started my final project for plant propagation.

3) Pop Music
Is better than anything right now. I spent a lot of time with cool hip college kids who long rock music from the 70s. Now don't get me wrong. I love me song rock and roll. But damnit if I have to hear one more guitar solo I'm going to throw something out the window.

4) Teaching
I am going to go to a information session about the MIT (Masters in Teaching) to get more information about secondary education. This could be the beginning of something huge, or the end to something small.

5) San Fransisco
This summer? Who knows.

more later... + pictures from the weekend!

No comments: